Thursday, November 3, 2011

Whole Wheat Bread Tips and Recipe

I have had several people who buy whole wheat bread from me ask how I get it to rise so much so I decided to share my recipe. Now the way I get my bread to rise so well is that I add wheat gluten to it. You can get the wheat gluten from the bulk section of Shetler's.
For one loaf of bread you need, 4 cups of whole wheat flour, 3 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 3 tsp yeast, 4 heaping tbsp wheat gluten, 5 tbsp oil, 12 oz warm water. Mix all the dry ingredients together thoroughly, then mix the oil and water in. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, then spray the top with cook spray, cover, and set to rise in a warm place until it doubles, about half an hour. After in has risen this first time punch it down and knead it again. Then shape it into a loaf, and place in your greased bread pan. Spray, or butter the top again and set to rise for about another half hour. Finally you bake it in a pre-heated 375F oven for 30-35 minutes. It is done when you tip it out of the pan and tap the bottom, and it has a hollow sound. Let it cool on a rack. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment